Recreational Fish Limits in areas 20-1, 20-2, 20-3, 21 and 121
- Daily limit for Salmon is 4 fish
- Chinook Salmon:
- 2 per day [over 45 cm, 18”] with 10 for yearly limit opening April 1st in area 21 and out 1 nm from Boundary line.
- In area 20-1 2 per day [over 45cm, 18” and up to 80cm] opening July 15 – July 31 then no upper size limit Aug. 1 – Dec. 31
- Coho: 2 hatchery per day and on Sept. 5/17 4 per day in area 20-2 of which 2 can be wild. Nitinat area 22 you may retain two (2) Coho per day (hatchery marked or unmarked).
- Pink Salmon: 4 per day
- Sockeye Salmon: 4 per day (when open)
- Rockfish: 3 per day of which only one can be Quillback, Tiger or a China Rockfish. No retention of Yelloweye and Bocaccio Rockfish.
- Lingcod: 3 per day over 65cm [25 3/4”]
- Codfish: 8 per day Species includes: Pacific cod, Pacific tomcod, pollock, and hake but does not include lingcod.
- Halibut: The daily limit for halibut is two (2) and the possession limit is EITHER of:
- one (1) halibut measuring 90 cm to 126 cm in length (69 cm to 97 cm head-off), OR
- two (2) halibut, each measuring under 90 cm in length (69 cm head-off)
- No person shall retain a halibut greater than 126 cm head-on length (97 cm head-off).
- Head-off measurements are made from the base of the pectoral fin at its most forward point to the extreme end of the middle of the tail.
- The annual limit is 10 per year and they must be recorded on your licence.
- Tuna: 20 per day
- Dungeness Crab: 4 per day in area 20 and 6 per day in area 21 minimum size 165cm [61/2”]
- Smelts: 20 kg. per day
Starts in June and tapers off toward the end of September.
Late August to October
Coho, Pink & Sockeye Salmon
July, August & September are the best month for these salmon.
Cutthroat Trout & Steelhead
Found in the San Juan River, Gordon River and Harris Creek all year round. Lizard Lake and Ferry Lake produce cut throat trout as well.
Plentiful in the bay during May, June & July.
Halibut, Lingcod & Rockfish
Fishing for bottom fish usually starts in April depending on the weather and water conditions. Swiftsure bank is the favourite spot for halibut and is about 20 miles from Port Renfrew, although halibut, lingcod and rockfish are taken along the coastline as well.
Best in the summer months on the beach just down the road from our property.
If you don’t have the essentials to head out on your own, there are plenty of fishing charter companies in Port Renfrew that would love to take you out. Please contact us for a referral.